Playing Online Roulette
They call it the “king of casino games”, and it’s not hard to see why. Gamblers love the thrill of playing online roulette and the anticipation waiting to see where the ball lands after a spin of the roulette wheel. With online roulette, real money games, a lucky bet could mean loads of cash. This classic casino game has been around for centuries and remains one of the most popular choices for gamblers.
Whether you like European roulette or the American version of the game, Canadian gambling sites have it all. Canadian casino players can enjoy loads of online roulette games with plenty of variety. From different rules, bonus features, and betting limits, we hand-pick the best casinos in Canada for playing online roulette real money games. Check out our list of top-rated sites for roulette online below:
Recommended Sites for Roulette Online
Play roulette at Betway with a huge $1500 welcome bonus and +400 games.Betway Review
Check out Jackpot City Stunning welcome bonus of $1600 for all Canadian players.Jackpot City Review
Royal Vegas offers $1200 in Welcome Bonus for all Canadian playersRoyal Vegas Review
Platinum play gives an Excellent package of $1000 bonus and 50 Free spinsPlatinum Play Review
Play multi wheel roulette at Spin Palace and get a $1000 welcome bonus.Spin Palace Review
Dunder Casino is offering great $600 welcome bonus + 200 free spinsDunder Casino Review
How to Play Online Roulette
The game of roulette might call to mind men dressed in 3 piece suits alongside women wearing fancy dresses as they stand around the roulette table. Thankfully though, with online roulette you don’t have dress to the nines. Anyone can pick up and play this classic casino game from the comfort home.
Learning the rules doesn’t require a lot of experience, so let’s start with the basics. Roulette means little wheel in French. After all, the game has a wheel that spins around with a small ivory ball that whirls along with it. Before the game begins, everyone places their bets on the number or colour they thank the ball will land on during the next spin of the wheel.
- Place your bets – All bets go on the roulette board beside the wheel. With online roulette, you can use your mouse to move the chips you want onto the virtual roulette board. Remember, you’ve got choices! You can go for a certain number, a group of numbers, all odd numbers, all even numbers… or you can forget about the numbers and just bet on red or black.
- The ball is released and the wheel goes for a spin
- When the wheel slows to a stop, the ball comes to rest on a number.
- Is it on your number? Your color? If so, you win!
- If you win, you can choose to leave your winnings on the table — a move known as “Letting it ride.”
- If you choose to ‘let it ride’, you’ll be banking on winning even more when the game starts again.
Different Bets and Odds in Roulette
Roulette has been around for centuries. Through the years, different versions of the game have popped up. French roulette, European roulette, and American roulette stand out as the three most popular versions of online roulette. You can find all three at our recommended online casinos in Canada. Below is a rundown of the differences and the basic rules for each type of roulette.
European: A European roulette wheel features numbers 1-36, half red and half black. The board also has a green 0, which is why players don’t have 50-50 odds of hitting either red or black, giving the house a slighter better edge.
American: American roulette wheels have the same pieces as the European version, but also have an extra green symbol, the 00. Because there are two spots on the American wheel that are neither red nor black, the house picks up a slightly larger edge than in the European version.
French: French roulette features a different table than the American and European versions. The bets and odds are the same as the European version, but the numbers are laid out differently on the betting board. The different layout changes the way players can bet, since multi-number bets are placed by putting chips on the line between numbers. Other than that, though, the game is essentially the same as European roulette.
Visit our roulette variations page for more information about the different types of roulette that can be played online.
Online Roulette Strategy
Once you learn the basic rules, you can develop a roulette strategy to help tip the odds in your favor.
Practice play – Many online casinos offer have free and real money online roulette games. Free demo games let you without risking any of your hard earned money. Its a great way to learn the rules and practice different strategies before putting your money on the line in the hopes of winning cash prizes.
Start with small bets – Once you get the hang of the game, try your luck by placing real money bets. We recommend starting out small. Try finding a roulette game with low minimum bets and high maximum bet. You can start with small bets and still have the chance to double any losing bets.
Place outside bets – Although outside bets have lower payouts, they also have a higher probability of occurring. These relatively low risk wagers are the better option, especially when you don’t have a lot of experience.
Set betting limits – Many online casinos allow players to set betting limits. Once you reach the limit, the casino will not allow you to place anymore bets, helping you ensure you never bet more than you can afford.
Online Roulette Rules
Roulette is so popular because of its straightforward rules.. It doesn’t take long to learn the basic rules of roulette since your betting options are very easy to remember.
It basically comes down to two types of bets:: inside bets and outside bets. Outside bets have a higher probability of occurring, but have lower payouts. Inside bets have a lower likelihood of occurring, but come with more rewarding payouts.
Outside bets: Outside bets are bets placed on the outside area of the betting table.
- Bets on dozens: Betting on one of three groups of 12 numbers
- Column bets: Betting on an entire column of numbers on the layou
- Color bets: Betting on all red or all black spaces
- Even/odd bet: Betting on all even or all odd numbers
- Low/high bet: Betting on numbers 1-18 (low) or numbers 19-36 (high).
Inside bets: Inside bets are located on the inside area of the betting layout. You bet on a single number, or on a line between numbers. Placing a bet on a line between numbers is known as a combination bet, and can be comprised of a bet that includes anywhere between two and six numbers.
- Straight up: Betting on single number on the table
- Split bets: Betting on any two adjoining numbers, vertically or horizontally on the board
- Street bets: Betting on any three horizontal numbers on the board
- Corner bets: Betting on any four adjoining numbers in a block on the board
- Line bets: Combination bets placed on two adjacent rows covering six numbers
Top 5 Tips for Online Roulette
- Systems Don’t Work – There are a number of roulette systems folks have thought up to try to slim the house edge (we feature some of them in our roulette strategies page). Creative as they might be, none of them are going to help you win any more money. The house edge is always going to exist.
- Go European or French – The extra 00 piece on the American roulette wheel lowers a player’s chances of winning slightly compared to the European or French versions.
- Check Out Bonus Rules – Gambling your Welcome Bonus at the roulette table is a fine idea, but be warned, most casinos only let a certain percentage of roulette bets count toward wagering requirements. Before you start placing bets, you should look into that percentage and figure out how much money you’ll have to bet to work through your bonus. Our casino reviews can help you with that.
- Best Bet – It’s tempting to pick a lucky number and stick with it, but be warned, single-digit bets have lower odds. If you want to play it safe, stick with black/red, high/low or even/odd bets.
- Play for Fun – Roulette isn’t a game to play solely for the money — in the long-run, you’re likely going to finish with a little less than what you started. What you’re paying for is the experience. Make it count by enjoying your time at the table with online roulette free games.
Bottom Line on Roulette
The odds and rules at the roulette table are simple to understand and the experience is a thrilling mix of strategy and anticipation. For these and other reasons, roulette has become one of the most popular games in brick-and-mortar casinos and their online cousins. Now, with the advent of mobile casinos, players can play anywhere they get cell service — almost all mobile casinos feature online roulette games. The roulette options at Royal Vegas casino is our favorite, but you can use the list of casinos above to choose your favourite and start playing today!