Playing Online Slots
Playing slot machines, especially online, is a great way to pass the time and potentially win some serious CAD. Slots are quick, fun, and come in a huge variety, with all sorts of themes, payouts and styles to boot. Get started playing for free, or placing a few bucks on a promising game – whatever your choice, you’re going to have fun at our favorite online slots casinos for Canadians!
With so many different types of the best online slots to choose from, you’re bound to find a slot you’ll want to keep coming back to – and even if you don’t, there are a wealth to choose from. Read on to get spinning and winning today.
Best Canadian Slots Casinos
Leo Vegas offers a huge $1000 total welcome bonus with 222 Free Spins!LeoVegas Review
Try Jackpot City casino and get Great welcome bonus of $1600Jackpot City Review
Casino room offers $1300 in Welcome Bonuses and 500% match up to $100Casino Room Review
Spinit casino is offering $1000+200 welcome bonus and variety of casino gamesSpinit Review
Casinoland gives out a great $800 sign-up bonus and amazing daily promotionsCasinoland Review
Nice $600 In Welcome Bonus and Amazing offer of 200 Free SpinsDunder Casino Review
Online slots machines – How to play?
Canadians from coast-to-coast love playing online slots, and with good reason! Playing these games is simple and fun. It’s really easy to get started:
- Choose a game – Each game you’ll find online will have its own theme, number of paylines, and payout table. Browse through the online casino of your choice to find a game you like, or have a look at our best online slot games for Canadians below to get started. If you’re feeling adventurous and your casino offers it, check out the games you can play for free – this way, you get to experience a few different games before making your choice of which to play.
- Read through the instructions – For new slots players (and even some experienced ones), slot games can look a little confusing at first. It’s best to click the ‘i’ or ‘?’ button on the slot itself, to read more about the ways to win, the paylines and more, before playing.
- Place a bet – You’ll need to choose how many lines you want to play, and for how many coins/chips you want to wager per line (added up for your total bet amount). Remember, the amount you bet is reflected in the potential payout. The more you bet, the more you can win.
- Spin – That’s simple; just click the ‘Spin’ button to set the reels in motion. You can also use the Autoplay option, but more on that in our FAQ section.
- Win – If you’re lucky (which we certainly hope you are), you can win some serious cash playing online slots. Don’t worry if you aren’t so great at the calculations – the game itself will show you if/and how you won, highlighting the winning reels and automatically adding your winnings to your account.
Best online slots
Check out the below list of the very best online slots for Canadian players – click on the logo of the game itself to read more about it in our in-depth review, or click on the casino name ‘Visit…’) to go straight to the casino and start playing!
Play online slots for real money
While free is fun, real money is even better, especially when it comes to online slots! Why? Because simply put, making a real money wager is the only way to win real money in return (and that’s what we’re her for, at the end of the day). To help you on your way to winning real money prizes, there are a couple of simple things you can do:
- Welcome/signup bonus – There are two advantages here. First, taking a welcome bonus will give you extra money to play your favourite games. And since most online casinos focus heavily on slots, and because slot machines usually contribute 100% towards bonus playthrough, playing slots is a great way to use your welcome bonus funds. Second, many online casinos like Casino Room and Platinum Play offer free spins as part of their welcome package.
- Extra free spins – Canadian casino players absolutely love online slots. And to cater to this market, a good online casino will have plenty of free spin offers as an added incentive either to get you to log in, deposit, or try a new game.
- Keep your winnings – Yes, with free play you don’t risk any money BUT you can’t keep any of the winnings you see yourself accruing, which is downright frustrating. By playing for real money, you get to spin AND keep all of those winnings.
- Look out for ongoing bonuses and promotions – Most online casino will offer regular players after signup some nice extras by way of promotions – these can be match deposits, prize giveaways or, best of all – free spins for certain slots. It’s well worth keeping an eye out for these offers, as especially with free spins, they don’t stick around forever.
Free spins and no deposit slots
Here’s an important caveat: free spins are not the same as free online slots.
Free slots are games can only be played in practice mode. While replicating real money play (including a fictitious bankroll), they offer no chance at winning a real money prize.
Free spins on the other hand, are limited in their number, usually ranging from 5-20 at a time, depending on the casino and the particular offer. They are also usually limited to a certain game, such as Tomb Raider or Thunderstruck II. And, once their bonus restrictions/wagering requirements have been met, free spins DO offer the potential for real money winnings. It’s always a good idea to shop around a little, to see which welcome bonus or online casino offers you the most free spins – but always check the terms and conditions, as any free spins given are bound to have some, including certain wagering requirements
No deposit slots sound like they are – you don’t need a deposit to get started with playing. These are also subject to a fair few terms and conditions – so before you get over excited at finding some, make sure you have a look at what you need to know.
Progressive jackpot slots
For those in search of those lucrative, life-changing seven-digit wins, progressive slots are THE game for you. One of the most popular such titles amongst Canadian players is the Microgaming mega hit Mega Moolah slots, which regularly creates instant millionaires. Other top progressive games include the Playtech blockbuster Gladiator slots, or its new Age of the Gods series. It’s best to have a little play around for yourself, and see the type of progressive jackpot you like playing the most – tip: some of the progressive jackpots (like Mega Moolah, mentioned above) are actually 4-in-1 progressive jackpots, which increases your chances of winning one of them by quite a lot!
Online mobile slots
Mobile casinos are all the rage these days; and mobile slots are their flagship game. Pretty much all online casinos have web- or app-based mobile versions of slot games designed for the full range of Android and iOS smartphones and tablets.
- Web-based means that no download is required. Simply visit the casino’s mobile site on your mobile browser to start playing.
- A mobile app does require download, and will take up a bit of space on your mobile device. Some players, however, prefer this, as it makes access to the mobile casino easier.
- Tablet play is also an option, with most online slots casinos optimised for tablet play too.
Like everything else about the game, the lingo that goes along with slots is pretty simple to learn. In fact, just about every slots term is entirely intuitive. But just in case you need a refresher, take a look at these top slot terms:
- Max bet – This is the maximum n36umber of credits you can bet on any given machine, per spin. Most games will have a designated button marked ‘Max bet’ to make this easy. Keep in mind, if you want a chance at the game’s top payout, max bet is the way to go.
- Payline – This is the line on the machine across which winning reel combinations must land so as to win the payout.
- Line bet – You can choose how many paylines you want to activate for each bet. A max bet will activate all paylines; again important for a top prize win.
- Scatter symbol – The scatter symbol is usually one of the game’s highest paying symbols, and the key to unlocking any given game’s bonus features.
- Wild symbol – This reel symbol often acts as a multiplier, or can serve as any given symbol to complete a winning combination.
- Multiplier – This bonus feature can be found in certain slot machines, and will multiply your payout by up to 10X the designated sum.
- Payout – The amount you win for landing a particular winning combination.
- Paytable – The payout per winning combination is set in the paytable of each slot machine.
How we review our slot games
Like everything we do at Online Casinos Canada, we review each slot game with great care. That means, for each slot machine you read about here, we have played in both fun mode as well as real money mode; made bigger bets and smaller bets; paid attention to the payouts; checked out the paytable; and put together our overall impression of the graphics, sound and complete game play. In other words, our slots review is thorough, so you can get a pretty darned good sense of what you’re getting into before you bet a single penny. We like to tell it to you straight – after all, we’re here to help you choose a slot game you’ll love playing!
FAQs About Playing Slots Online
For everything slot-related which we might not have covered above, check out these frequently asked questions for all the answers you need.
What type of slots are there to play?
There are many different types of slots, including progressives, classic, video and free – check out the more in depth answers to each type, below.
What are classic slots?
Classic slots are those ones which you can imagine in your mind’s eye, or when you think back to the old days of land-based casino slots – those three reel, one-armed bandit-types. Nowadays, and in an online casino, ‘classic’ slots usually have three reels and one payline, and when they hit a payout, they’re likely to pay out pretty big.
What are progressive slots?
The polar opposite to classic slots, progressive slots are those big, flashy slots with bursting attached jackpots. The way they work is pretty simple, actually – every player playing the slot around the world has a portion of their bet added to the jackpot pool. This continues to grow as people keep playing. Then, a lucky player will spin and randomly win the jackpot – and the spin doesn’t even need to a winning one in order for it to win the jackpot pool! Progressive jackpots are incredibly fun to play, but some players may find the lack of instant reward a bit frustrating.
What are video slots?
They’re somewhere in the middle between progressives and classics – video slots might have a progressive jackpot attached, and come with 5 reels, and several paylines. They have great graphics, a nice soundtrack, and sometimes exciting extra features. Sometimes, they are branded – which means they are directly licensed by certain TV and film franchises, including Gladiator slots, South Park slots and more. They’re very fun to play!
What are free slots? Are they free to play?
Again, free slots sound like they are – they are free – and yes, they are free to play. Most online casinos nowadays offer some slots which come in two modes – ‘play for fun’ and ‘play for real money’. The ‘fun’ types are free play, where you get to experience exactly how a slot plays, its paylines and bonus features and more. However, there is one massive catch – whatever you win, you won’t be able to keep – that’s for real money players! Free slots are a great way to experience a wide range of online slot games, without having to wager a penny. Then, once you find something you like, you can play for real money and keep your winnings.
What do min bet and max bet mean?
Just like they sound – they are the minimum bet offered by the slot that you can place, and the maximum bet. It’s always best to check what these are, so you know your options when playing.
What are paylines?
Paylines are, quite simply, the lines that pay if you get winning combinations on them. They’re a little complicated, and come in many patterns, so it’s always good to check out the slot game’s information to see exactly what they consider a winning payline. The more paylines a slot has, the more chances you have to win.
Can I choose how many paylines to play?
Yes you can, on most machines – there should be a set of arrows with the words ‘Lines’ above them, which allows you to change the number of lines you can play in the game, but be warned – this is not applicable to every slot. Sometimes, if a game has 20 paylines, you have no choice but to play all 20 paylines.
What are free spins?
Free spins are like they sound – extra spins that you get to play, without putting any cash down. They are usually, given as a part of a bonus or promotion, and usually come with a few terms and conditions – such as your spins have to be wagered a certain amount of times – so it’s always a good idea to check what these might be before accepting any free spins.
What are wild symbols?
Wild symbols are something every player wants to see, and they work similar to the Joker card in Poker – when a wild symbol appears on your reels, it substitutes for any other symbol, in order to try and give you a winning combination. Sometimes, your wilds can also ‘stack’, which means you get a much bigger win.
What are scatter symbols?
Similar to wild symbols, you’ll definitely like these ones! They are symbols that give you payouts, no matter where they appear on the reels – if you have several of them appear on your screen, you get increased payouts – they’re a very nice way of getting a bit of a return on your bet!
What is high volatility and low volatility?
When a slot is called ‘high volatility’ or ‘low volatility’, it means how often and how much you can expect to win in a game if you keep playing for a certain amount of time. Some games might take forever to give you a win – but when they do, it’ll be big; others will give you smaller but frequent wins. Those ‘waiting for it’ slots are known as high volatility, as they sometimes do and don’t pay out (and so are pretty volatile), while low volatility slots are those which give you the slower, steadier but smaller wins.
What is RTP?
‘Return to Player’ – this is how often a player can expect to see wins – although please note, not per minute, hour or even game – it means the return to player over time. In actual fact, it shouldn’t really be a factor in choosing a game, as saying how much return there will be ‘over time’ is a bit like asking how long a piece of string is!
How do I find a slot’s RTP?
If you really need to know what your slot’s RTP is, then you should be able to find this directly in the game itself (for example, NetEnt games will have this information available in the ‘?’ section), or it can be calculated.
What is autoplay?
Just like it sounds – if you’re tired of spinning the reels yourself, you can set up the autoplay feature to do it for you. This means you can have the slot game bet a certain stake for 10, 15, 20 or infinite spins, without you even touching a button. The feature will usually run by itself until it hits a special feature, you need to take action (such as play in a bonus round), or you stop it yourself.
I’m confused! Where do I find an explanation for the slot I’m playing?
Slots can be confusing, for both new and experienced players. If you find yourself feeling bamboozled by something, each slot game should have a ‘i or ‘?’ button, which opens up a screen explaining how the paylines work, any special features and bonus features, and how you access them, as well as expected coin payouts for different reels. Alternatively, you can also contact the online casino you’re playing at’s customer support.
What kind of slot is right for me?
That really depends on you! You first need to think about whether you’d like to play a progressive, video or classic slot. Then you need to think about whether you’d prefer a high volatility or low volatility slot. Are bonus games important to you? Are extra features? Is playing a game related to your favourite movie or TV series important? All of these things need to be considered – but it’s best to try out a few slots, to really see what you like playing.
If you’re looking for a quick escape and some good fast fun, slots are your game. With the potential for big payoffs, online slots are the perfect pastime for Canadian casino lovers, from Vancouver to St. John’s and everywhere in between!
Plus, there’s so much choice, at virtually every online casino to keep you interested – and with new slots being released all the time, you’re more than likely to find something exciting to play (that is, if you’re not overwhelmed with choice!). Start your slots journey off right – get started with playing online slots today.