The Rise of Online Casinos
As recently as the 90s gamblers had to travel to land-based casinos, for many this meant hours of travel and hotel stays, to enjoy a few hours of gambling. Even visiting the local tote or bingo hall could be an inconvenience if you had conflicting appointments. Looking back it is marvellous to see how gambling has evolved thanks to the internet and advances in mobile technology.
Microgaming’s first online casino in the mid–‘90s sparked a revolution in the betting business by taking gaming and placing it in our studies, sitting rooms, and bedrooms thanks to the internet. People were able to play a selection of digital casino games from their desktop computers like an arcade game.
As with all successful technologies, innovation advanced and more and more casinos began opening around the world. The online casino industry now generates multiple billions of dollars every year from thousands of casino sites across the globe.
The Mobilization of Mobile Gambling
As mobile technology became the latest area of advancement, the online gambling industry was at the forefront of testing its potential. This desire to offer players the best and latest opportunities to gamble lead to the creation of the first Mobile Casinos in the early 2000s.
Early phones and tablets were not as advanced as they are today, so specific applications were introduced to make casino games playable. These games were simpler versions of the titles you could play on the desktops and laptops of the day.
The real breakthrough for mobile came happened when HTML5 technology was introduced. Sites and games could now be written in this code to allow for instant play from either your desktop or mobile browser. The software could identify the device accessing the game and would modify it for its capabilities without any drop in audio-visual quality.
Mobile devices have come along way, and most games can now be played in the same resolutions and with the same features as their desktop counterparts. For this reason, the mobile gambling world leads the industry.
The Landscape of Online Casinos in Canada
In Canada, online gambling is legal. Only state–run casinos may run online operations from within the borders of the country, but the state in no way impedes players from seeking entertainment from remote vendors outside of the country.
Of course, remote operators do not fall within the regulatory jurisdiction of Canada, which means that it is important that Canadians can play at safe and reputable sites. OCC ensures that the sites promoted on this website are ethical, safe, and have a great reputation in the marketplace.
The Great White North is an online casino hotspot with many top brands going out of their way to make the player experience as Canada-friendly as possible.
Their push for excellence and convenience shows primarily in two areas:
- Payment Methods: The best Canada casino offers Canadians the chance to deposit and withdrawal their funds using uniquely Canadian banking options. Aside from the normal Visa, Mastercard, and Paysafecard options, Canucks will often find that they can use Instant Banking by Citadel, Instadebit, iDebit, and Interac. For more in-depth information, see our Payments page.
- Bonuses and Promotions: When loading up from Canada, many of the best casinos will have already identified your geo-location and a unique Canadian Welcome Bonus will be available. They will be advertised in Canadian Dollars so that you don’t even have to do any currency conversions. Simply accept the offer and make payment with your favorite Canadian payment method to start playing. For more information on the types of offers available, see our Bonus and Promotions page.
How We Choose the Best Online Casinos for Canadians
We understand that selecting a suitable casino can be a tricky task, so we have undertaken the task on your behalf. We investigate each new online casino that accepts Canadian players and present the best of the best for you in our reviews.
You can read our exhaustive reviews on the service and offerings of the operators on our site.
Here are the factors we consider in our reviews:
- Customer Care
- Licensing and Security
- Responsible Gambling Adherence
- Banking Options
- Casino Games and Software
- Mobile Functionality
- Bonuses and Promotions
For an in-depth understanding of how we choose the best for you, read our How We Choose New Canadian Online Casinos page.
Featured Online Casino Games
When playing online casino games, there is no one type of game that you cannot access from your desktop or mobile device nowadays. Canadians are treated to the full array of titles, including:
- Online Slots
- Table Games
- Live Casino Games
- Number Games
- Other Casino Games
The variety of games available is important at an online casino, so long as they are provided by leading software brands in the marketplace. Playing games by leading providers means that you are guaranteed seamless integration across devices and smooth gameplay when you have a good internet connection.
Some of the top provider names we look out for are Microgaming, Playtech, NetEnt, Red Tiger, Play’n GO, Scientific Games, IGT, Novamatic, Yggdrasil, Quickspin, Pragmatic Play, and many more.
Useful Tips for Casino Players
With a plethora of games and a host of platforms to play them on, we would like to give you some sound advice on how to approach casino gaming in Canada.
- Be sure to use OCC’s useful game guides to learn the rules, passage of play, and strategy involved in playing options like blackjack, poker, roulette, and more.
- Look to the bet spread or table limits on a game to determine whether the game meets your budget suitably.
- Only choose games from the top–known software providers for the best gaming experience.
- Choose a payment method that fits with your expectations to do with the cost and speed of the transaction.
- Play free games to get used to the gameplay of certain titles before spending your money on the real deal.
- Play virtual table games and familiarise yourself with the passage of play before attempting Live Casino games. This way, you will be confidently prepared for the entertainment to come.
- Always approach gambling as entertainment so that your gameplay remains enjoyable.
- Always bet what you can afford.
The more informed you are about the various games on offer, the more equipped you will be to make a success of your gaming session, especially when playing card games and other games of skill.
Ensuring both your entertainment and safety is an important part of any online casino we recommend. For this reason, we only support brands with a deep commitment to responsible gambling.
Trustworthy casinos have implemented helpful responsible gambling tools for you to use to manage your gameplay and to keep you safe. At OCC, we advise that you do the utmost to safeguard yourself by playing responsibly at all times.