Gamblers love the thrill of playing online scratch games. Imagine instantly winning huge sums of money after simply scratching off a few spaces on a virtual scratch game! With simple rules and opportunities for big wins, it comes as no surprise that scratch cards have become so popular at lotteries and online casinos in Canada.
How We Rate Online Scratch Casinos
We make it easier than ever to find online scratch cards. We go through Canadian casino brands and play each different scratch game. That’s why our list of recommended casinos represents the best gambling sites offering scratch cards with a special focus on sites available to Canadian players. These high-quality online casinos have a variety of scratch games with rewarding bonus features, entertaining themes, and, of course, high payout rates.
How to Play Online Scratch Games
Learning how to play online scratch games takes no time at all. You may have already played paper scratch games at your local lottery shop. And just like the paper versions, you win by revealing hidden spaces on your online card. The well-known online scratch offs like Cashapillar or Dawn of the Bread follow these same basic rules – there are usually between six and nine hidden spaces that you have to virtually “scratch” to reveal hidden symbols. If you match three or more symbols, you’re a winner! The best part about online scratch games though is the sheer variety you can choose from. There are all kinds of games, and they even come with rewarding bonus features, like the chance to win additional prizes in bonus rounds.
- Choosing a Game: Most casinos have a tab in their main menu that’s specifically dedicated to scratch games. Just click on it and to see a selection of games to play and pick your favourite. Once the game launches, select the amount you want to bet to start scratching.
- New Card Button: To play another round, click the New Card button found on most online scratchies. When you click this button, your bet will automatically be deducted from your account.
- Scratching Your Cards: when playing online scratch games, you can scratch and reveal one symbol at a time, or you can click the Show Card button, which will reveal all the symbols in one swoop. Like lottery scratch cards, it doesn’t matter how you scratch because whether you win or not is a matter of random luck.
- How to Win: Winning at scratch games involves revealing multiples of the same symbols, usually at least three. For instance, on All Slots Casino scratch games, if you reveal three 1X symbols, you’ll win back your full bet. Three 1X symbols will double your bet, three 10X symbols will pay out 10 times your bet, and three 50X symbols will pay for a lot more cards.
- Scratch vs Slots: Online scratch games will give you a roughly 94 to 95 percent return on investment. That five or so percent house edge is about what you’ll get with most slot games, so if your choice is between playing online slots and playing scratch, don’t let the financial ramifications affect your decision — your odds are roughly the same.
- Scratch vs Other Games: If you’re looking for a bit of quick and easy casual fun, online scratch games in Canada are the way to go. But when it comes to controlling your game or using strategy, scratch lags behind table games like online craps, online blackjack, roulette or baccarat, especially if you know what they’re doing at those tables. So if you want to build up a stack of cash, your best bet is to learn how to play table and card games.
Variations of Online Cards
Most scratch games stick to the same basic rules. Still, you can play lots of different kinds of online scratch games with additional bonus features, and exciting themes.
Software Provider: Top online scratch games, like those from Microgaming, NetEnt, Playtech and other software developers, have their own set of scratch and win games with unique graphics, themes, and bonuses. Playtech, for example, has at least 20 card games to choose from, and you’ll likely be familiar with many of the titles, like Daredevil, Ghost Rider and Spamalot. At Microgaming casinos, you’ll find titles like Whack a Jackpot and Lucky Numbers, which are our particular favourites because of their high payout rates and cute graphics. Meanwhile, NetEnt (Net Entertainment) scratchies like The Lost Pyramid boast impressive 3D graphics and plenty of hidden bonuses.
Bet Amounts: Scratch cards online have different maximum and minimum bet amounts, that can range from a few cents to a couple of bucks. Sometimes you have to match three symbols to win, other times only two. In certain scratch games matching symbols can appear anywhere to win. In others they have to line up in a row, like in online Bingo. Playtech also has a Blackjack Scratch, in which you are presented three hands and the dealer one and you scratch your hands to see if you’ve won — no hitting or standing necessary.
Free Games vs Real Money Scratch-Offs: The great part about playing online is that you can find both free scratch games and real money games. With free demo games, you can play without risking money while still enjoying the fun of trying to match hidden symbols. Meanwhile, with cash games, you can bet and win real money instantly playing fun games. Keep in mind that many online casinos offer bonuses that give players casino credits so they can play online scratch game risk-free without actually betting their own money. We love the no deposit bonus especially those that allow players to cash in credits to play at the casino just by signing up. As the name implies, you don’t need to make a deposit to get the free money!
Your Chances of Winning Online Scratch Cards
Scratch games are a popular way to gamble because the odds of winning are quite good compared to other games. All the Microgaming scratch games mentioned in this list payout at 95%. There is around a 1 in 3 chance of winning something every time you play. In comparison, the minimum payout for slot games is usually at around 85%. This means that you are more likely to win on a scratch game than on an online slot game. However, as you’d expect, the jackpots on these games are much harder to come by than the smaller wins. The odds of winning in scratch cards can vary depending on the casino and the game. Usually, players have around a 1 in 5 to a 1 in 2.5 chance of winning. Odds also depend on the prize amount. As you might have guessed, the larger the prize, the less the probability you have of winning. Still, overall, players enjoy frequent wins when it comes to scratch games online. To give you a better idea of your chances of winning, we took a look at the payout percentage of one of the largest casino software developers, Microgaming. Microgaming tends to have high payout rates on their scratch cards. Below, we included the chances of winning for some of the best Microgaming scratch games:
- Dawn of the Bread – 95.04% payout percentage
- Foamy Fortunes – 96.3% payout percentage
- Lucky Numbers – 96.57% payout percentage
- Mumbai Magic – 95% payout percentage
- Whack a Jackpot – 96.3% payout percentage
Mobile Scratch Games: Online casinos give you the chance to play all kinds of games instantly from your computer desktop. Most online casinos also have mobile versions that allow you to play these games from anywhere using your smartphone or tablet device. Some mobile casinos have their own downloadable apps while other casinos have mobile cards that you can play right in your browser. It is important to remember that scratch cards, like roulette and slots, are games of chance, so winnings will be paid out randomly. The game mechanics do adhere to certain rules such as the win percentage, though, which helps to ensure that people do win.
Will you come out as a lucky winner in online scratch games? All it takes is the right combination and you could win millions instantly. No matter which kind of scratch-off game you prefer, online casinos have plenty of options to offer gamblers in Canada. So what are you waiting for? Find out if you’ll take home the big win with online scratch games.